Sunday, January 3, 2010

Star Trek, the original series

(As I understand it, Trekkers use the abbreviation TOS for this series, which for some reason really impresses me - that they've got a special abbreviation for it!)

I've been watching the original Star Trek series from Netflix, and also reading Star Trek Memories by William Shatner. I don't have much of an excuse for either :D except curiosity. I picked up the book after watching the TOS episodes in broadcast order and noticing that Spock was really different in the first few episodes, and that McCoy had much lower billing in the credits. How did the show morph into its eventual tug-of-war between the two characters, I wondered.

This isn't my first time watching the series, I first came across it in reruns in college in Connecticut, and I've seen episodes from time to time on late-night TV. Some early episodes are so bad they're laugh-out-loud funny. But others are still thought-provoking or interesting in some other way.

As I said, I can't offer much of an excuse, but I'm enjoying myself. Shatner's book is also very funny in spots, which may be him or his co/ghost writer.

No comments: