Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Moving day tomorrow

Tomorrow morning (earlier than I can imagine right now, starting at 7 am) I'm moving into my new apartment in Chicago, near Damen and Foster, in the Ravenswood neighborhood. It's a really nice apartment on a really nice block that seems quiet and neighborly, I've already met 2 of the other residents who extended a welcoming hand.

This move is much easier than my move back to Illinois from Colorado, because I've got so much less stuff. So today isn't as anxious-making as it would normally be the day before the move.

Mostly a few annoying details -- I don't have a mailbox key yet, and there's still a padlock on my storage unit in the basement. If it ain't off there by tomorrow, I'm snipping it off, I want the movers to be able to load my own stuff in there.

The past few weeks have been eventful and exhausting. Mom has decided to go ahead with the skin cancer surgery, so we'll start heading into that. I've been filling out the application for her to live at Covenant Home of Chicago, and as I talked about that with one of her doctors yesterday while Mom listened, it seemed she doesn't have any problem with that, though the idea of moving anywhere seems completely overwhelming to her, as of course it would.

I'm reading Tolkien's Lord of the Rings for relaxation and so enjoying the characters. My biggest beef with the movie versions was how they changed most of the characters, some to the point where they unrecognizable from the book.

1 comment:

ClaireWalter said...

Hope your second move-in went smoothly and that you get your mother resettled soon too. Then, perhaps life will become a little more settled. Glad that you've already met your neighbors. That Midwestern welcome?