Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Missing my stuff

I'm a bit down today, missing my stuff, meaning the stuff I left behind in Colorado.

I moved here in early June on pretty short notice, for several reasons -- my lease was ending, and for financial reasons, and also because I was afraid the beneficial effect I'd had on Mom during 2 weeks in May might dissipate, and she'd end up back in the hospital.

And there were a huge number of unknowns -- it wasn't clear whether I'd be able to make enough money to take care of Mom as a job, so my living situation was very much up in the air. There was even a chance I'd end up taking a job as a live-in caregiver for someone else, meaning I'd have almost no room for any of my things.

So I sold or gave away most of my things -- I really downsized in an impressive way.

And now I'm finding I'm in mourning for some of the stuff I left behind -- a sweet little end table that would come in so handy, and a bedside table that I kept stuff in, and my mattress that was still quite comfortable, and large (queen size). And crazy things like the dark green dish drainer, which is no longer sold.

In writing the book, I went into debt, and I'm trying to do things differently this time around -- not buying something on impulse, buying things only when I'm positive I absolutely need them, and then getting them on Freecycle if I can, and if I can't, at a thrift store if at all possible.

And waiting for things I need exacts an emotional strain, which gives rise to the kind of depressed feelings I'm having today, so I guess I understand better why I used to buy things impulsively.

No comments: